Monday, July 27, 2009

I didn't sign up for this!!!!

When you become a parent there are just some things that don't cross your mind as issues you'll have to deal with. There are some days I just don't enjoy what I have to do as a mom. I knew I was going to have to deal with bodily fluids but never to the extent that I have had to since Ty has been born.

Tonight's bedtime routine began like most nights. Both of the boys were in the bathtub and I was sitting just outside in the hallway in my comfy seat reading and keeping an eye on the boys. Ty hit his nose on the soap holder and had to come out to be comforted and cuddled by mom. I carried him back out to my nice little seat while Nolan continued to play in the tub. Ty calmed down and we were having a nice conversation when I smelled something. I looked up to see Nolan throwing something and it was not one of the many toys that were floating in the tub. Nolan was throwing chunks of POOP. Nolan came out of the tub and I began to wipe him down with antibiotic wipes. Both of the boys were sent out of the bathroom while I tried to quickly clean out the toys and poop from the tub before they tried to "help." Just a few minutes later I was almost done with my first clean out of the tub when Ty said, "What's that?"

I look in the hall to see a large puddle of pee. I said, "Nolan peed on the floor." As soon as I finished this sentence Nolan comes running out of the bedroom. He slips in the pee his feet go up in the air, head hits the floor and he starts screaming! I am literally up to my elbows in poop and now Nolan is wallowing around on the floor in pee screaming. I get cleaned up and start wiping Nolan down. Ty comes out at this point with the camera, which I have already told him to put away, and he is trying to pull the SIM card out of it.

So I calmly take a deep breath, talk to Ty about listening, throw the toys in the washing machine with bleach, and give Nolan another bath in the kitchen sink while I make up some homemade cookies to have before bed. NOT REALLY.... I lose it! I yelled at Ty and he starts crying. I get him calmed down, coat the bathroom with bleach and begin to start working on getting Nolan another bath. He got a bath in the kitchen sink but first I had to put away the dinner dishes. While I was trying to put the dishes in the dishwasher Nolan was pulling out the dirty dishes, licking them and throwing them on the floor. Finally both boys got clean and in pjs.

I did apologized to Ty and I am hoping I didn't cause any long term emotional damage. So... for the the moms who read this. What has been something about motherhood you didn't expect (other then to love them soooo much)?


5 comments:

The Penter Family said...

Yesterday Colton pooped in the tub. It looked like three little poops, so I got him out of the tub and reached my hand into the water to pick them up. But when I touched them they started to disenigrate (sp?) in the water. It was NASTY. So I started scooping out as much as I could and pitching it into the toilet. The toilet water started turning GREEN. I turn around to check on Colton and he has his hands in the green toilet water just splashing it all around! Kids are NASTY!

Paul and Sarah said...

Shannon I felt bad to laugh but you are a saint! Moms defiently dont get enough credit for all they put up with! It makes for a great post to be a mom.

Matt said...

For a moment, when I read "throw the toys in the washing machine with bleach," I thought it said "throw the *boys* in the washing machine with bleach..." which might not have been such a bad idea.

Holly-- The Storm Chaser said...

Oh, all the fun things Moms get to do! I didn't realize it was a law that all stomach viruses had to start after 11pm. I knew we would get them, but never have understood why it only starts in the middle of the night. Definitely didn't sign up for that one! We've had tons of poop in the tub over the years, as you can imagine, and my advice is to bathe them as quickly as possible and get that diaper right back on!!
:-) This is part of the reason Bert is responsible for bath time in our house!

Kathy said...

WOW! Don't you love it? I think my worst experience was just recently. We are on the way to the hospital because it is obvious that Bradley (just under a year) is having an allergic reaction to something. He is throwing up EVERYWHERE and EVERYTHING he has eaten in the past month (so it seemed). He would start puking and I would put a nice Kroger back to his mouth and he would jerk his head around. There was puke all over him and the car seat. The van smelled great for some time. All the while his face is swelling and getting a rash. Thankfully I was too frightened to realize how absolutely disgusting it was. It was after the ER visit that I realized how horrible the van smelled! Ah, motherhood!